I love Mexican and Southwest-inspired dishes. Vibrant and flavorful, this soup (2 PointsPlusTM ) looks delish!
Courtesy of Taste of Home, Southwest Bean Soup, published in Healthy Cooking December/January 2009, p25.
Prep: 15 min.
Cook: 30 min.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) Hunt’s® Original Diced Tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- In a large nonstick saucepan coated with cooking spray, cook and stir the onion, green pepper and garlic over medium heat until almost tender.
- Stir in the broth, beans, tomatoes, chilies, corn, chili powder and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in cilantro. Yield: 13 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
PointsPlus™ Value: 2
Nutrition Facts: 1 cup equals 95 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 459 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable.