I’m big on rumaging in the cupboards and fridge to pull together something hearty in a pinch, especially during winter months. I’d been wondering what to do with a 16 oz. bag of frozen mixed bell pepper slices that I’d purchased. Soup always fits the bill, so I went exploring in my kitchen, and came up with this recipe. It’s super easy, flavorful and satisfaying — and clocks in at an incredible 3 PP per 1 cup serving. That means you may even have room for guilt-free seconds!
Better yet, if you’re a vegetarian, sub out the chicken for more beans or veggies. Taking the chicken out and adding an extra can of black beans doesn’t impact the PP value.
If desired, finish this full-flavored soup off with a slice of lime, dollop of fat free plain Greek yogurt or sour cream, a sprinkling of sliced scallions or a tablespoon of shredded cheese. Just don’t forget to track whatever you add…the garnish adds up.
Oh, and since slow-cooker sizes vary, I thought it important to point out that mine is a Hamilton Beach Stay-or-Go 6 qt.
PointsPlus™ Values (as calculated using WeightWatcher’s Recipe Builder):
- Original version: 3 per 1 Cup serving (excluding garnish)
- Vegetarian – no chicken, extra can black beans: 3 per 1 Cup serving (excluding garnish)
Prep: 10 min.
Slow-cooker: Low for 5 hours
Stovetop: Low simmer for 20 minutes, to heat peppers through
- 14 oz canned black beans
- 15 oz whole kernel sweet corn, canned
- 4 cup(s) fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 15 oz canned stewed tomatoes
- 28 oz canned crushed tomatoes
- 2 cup(s) Perdue® Short Cuts® Southwestern style chicken breast, chopped
- 16 oz frozen pepper strips
- 4 oz canned green chili peppers
- Season to taste. I added about 2 Tsps each of ground black pepper, ground cayenne, oregano, cumin, garlic powder and onion powder.
- Garnish with 1-2 Tbsps of Fresh Gourmet Tortilla Strips – Santa Fe flavor (1 Tbsp as garnish adds 1 pt per serving)
- In slow cooker, combine all ingredients and set to low. Cover and cook for 5 hours.
- Ladle 1 Cup servings into bowls, and garnish as desired.